I make a few breakfasts regularly, rotating through them depending on my mood and what ingredients are on hand. They are all different, but share one important attribute: they are all really stinkin’ easy. Cabbage with eggs is no exception.
This meal takes under 10 minutes to both prepare and cook. I’m a big believer of including protein in my breakfast, and the two eggs per serving here means that I won’t be hungry again until about five hours later. But, add more veggies or a side dish and you could call this lunch. Or dinner. Go crazy.
We eat cabbage with eggs about once a week. When I don’t have cabbage, other greens work fine. I love the strong flavor of garlic and the spicy chile, but I can also understand that many people can’t eat a clove of garlic and then go into an office work environment and breathe all over their co-workers. If you have a garlic breath phobia, go easy on the garlic. But try it this way, at least once – maybe on a Sunday.
The key to a good dish of cabbage and eggs is to not overcook the eggs until they are hard and chewy. Your goal is a nice, soft scramble. Over cooking eggs is, in my non-professional opinion, one of the most common mistakes of home-cooks. Don’t do it. The eggs should look as though they need another minute or so of cooking when you turn off the heat. The mixture will continue to cook, and when you dish out your breakfast your scramble will be perfectly done.
|Cabbage and Eggs|
- 2 T peanut oil, a vegetable oil, or butter
- 250 grams cabbage, or about 1/4 of a small head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chile pepper, minced (I use a yellow chile called perrón, but jalapeño, serrano, or just hot pepper flakes will do)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a wok or pan over medium heat.
- Add cabbage, and cook for a few minutes, until heated through.
- Add garlic and chile, and cook a few more minutes. Cabbage should still be crunchy, but cooked. Be sure to stir often as you are working with the garlic so it doesn’t brown.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and add the eggs. Stir frequently until the eggs are nearly done.
- Remove from heat and add salt to taste. Serve with whatever breakfast or lunch food you like, and enjoy!